September 18, 2011

sunday mail.


now, i'm no stranger to pretty things in the mail. the majority of the time it's from a well known criminal that has been known to raid the bank accounts of many late night online shoppers (i'm talking to your mr. ebay) or gorgeous cards/pressies from my mama, but she doesn't take money from me in exchange for vintage florals. even with mail from ebay, i always know what's going to end up in my mailbox (when i don't forget about it and then it feels like my birthday!) so when i was given the heads up that a package of opshopped goodness (not chosen by me) was heading my way, i got a little apprehensive. was i going to love it as much as if i was to scour the vintage floral online listings myself? ummm, YES. i do believe i began to cry (with joy) as i ripped open a post satchel from a beautiful mama to be yesterday who had found 'a few things i may like' whilst out opping for her nursery. it's even more beautiful to think of her ferreting amongst the vintage linen whilst carrying around a rather large bump. I suffer from hot sweats, dizziness and hunger pains whilst opping (sweats are due to excitement and hunger pains & dizziness are due to being so excited i neglect to feed myself) and i'm not the one who's 35 weeks pregnant. you, miss barry, are incredible. so i thought the goodies deserved their own post and as it's a sunny spring sunday, a friand recipe seemed appropriate too. i forgot (because of the excitement that came with yesterday's finds) to photograph a beeeautiful milk glass lampshade (also found yesterday) that i plan to make into a wide brimmed vase, it's so stunning i just couldn't pass it up. we all know that milk glass is like gold at the moment. it's only early in the day but the whoopie pie ingredients are out and the coffee is brewing. i hope this finds you enjoying this sunday, wherever you are. i'll be back in the week with birthday brunch photos and some artwork in progress shots. happy sunday all. xo


a perfect yellow floral (spring inspired ) floral double sheet.

an UH-MAZE-ING piece of vintage off-cut that just makes me weak at the knees.

vintage invitations and a floral double oven mitt? yes please!!

strawberry & vanilla friands (best served next to florals, as seen above)




strawberry & vanilla friands (GF)

makes: 12


ingredients


· 125g strawberries, hulled, halved

· 6 eggwhites

· 1 tsp vanilla bean paste/ vanilla extract

· 1 1/2 cups (225g) icing sugar mixture, plus extra to dust

· 1 1/4 cups (155g) almond meal

· 1/2 cup (75g) rice flour

· 150g unsalted butter, melted, cooled


method


1. crush strawberries in a bowl with a potato masher

2. place egg whites and vanilla extract in a bowl and whisk until frothy (use a stand mixer or hand mixer for this)

3. sift over the almond meal, icing sugar and flour.

4. add melted butter and strawberries and mix gently with a spatula.

5. spoon into a friand tin and bake in a 180 deg oven for 25 minutes.

6. leave to cool for 20 mins and then turn out onto a wire rack

7. sprinkle with extra icing sugar and enjoy!



9 comments:

Michelle said...

I can so relate to that excitement after relishing in my own little op shop find the other day..(I did blog about it...) Enjoy this beatuiful Brisbane Sunday. I've just washed off the desk and outdoor furniture ready for some afternoon tea when it all dries,
Michelle xx (just love reading your blog, you have such a joy of life that is infectious)

Vintage Sweetheart said...

What a lovely friend you have, such gorgeous florals. I love getting mail my bank account not so much. I have a pillow case with the same florals as the photo next to the yummy muffins.

E :)

Hannah, Lost in wishful thinking said...

beautiful -that fabric is so gorgeous! The colours are amazing.
The friands sound yummy as too I will have to try to have a go at them soon. I think I have both rice flour and almond meal in the cupboard, and the strawberries at the moment are fab.

Hello Vintage said...

Your friend did really well, how lovely of her. It's funny I have never really got into milk glass. I passed up a little milk glass vase yesterday (maybe I should have grabbed it). Sherry :)

Ellie said...

Oooh those friands look delicious! I'm loving strawberries at the moment and always looking for new ways to use them.

Vic Bibby said...

I do a lot of online shopping, and it's so much fun receiving the goodies in the mail. But, how special to receive a lovely surprise like you did - what a beautiful person she must be. I bet she will be an awesome Mamma! Vic xxx

trishie said...

Lovely, lovely things you got!
i'm dying to try the friand recipe .

moose and bird said...

What would we do without Mummas and Friends who buy us vintage treasures. What gems they are! Thank-you for sharing the lovely recipe also. GF too, perfection! x

Laura said...

Those friands look delicious I will have to try your recipe!

Laura
whitewinters.blogspot.com